When the snow falls...

 The usual honking of cars does not reach my ears as I lay awake in my bed. A stillness hangs in the air, a silence surrounds the streets. The air seems somewhat fresher, blowing through the window the maid just threw open. I slowly reach for my glasses.

Now the world is truly awake, except not in its usual way.

The annoying sound of vehicles is replaced by gleeful shouts of children. The usual chittering of birds is absent. Cold air whooshes through the window, chilling me to my bones even underneath the thick, woolen blanket. A smile parts my lips as I slowly get up from the bed and walk towards the window.

The sky is gray as an old silver coin. Stars in the form of delicate snowflakes gently fall on the ground. The grass, a bright green yesterday, is covered by a snow white blanket. The neighbor's children build a lopsided snowman in their yard. Their parents are close, engaging in an intense snowball fight. The father tackles the mother to the ground, then bombards her with an onslaught of snow. I lean out of the window, my tongue sticking out, until a silent snowflake lands on the tip.

I call out to the maid. She brings my coat as I rush down the stairs, taking two at a time. Securing the belt of my coat and strapping my boots, I walk out the front door. Our street looks graceful lit by the orange lamps. A few passersby carry umbrellas, mine sits forgotten in its stand. I spread my arms and look towards the sky, feeling the snow gently meet my skin.

Until a snowball lands on my face.

I cough and look around for the attacker. Jimmy pops out of the bushes launching yet another snowball. I dodge, barely. My gloved hands grope on the ground, picking up a lump of snow and kneading it till it is round and throwable. Jimmy has disappeared again. He must be playing with the neighbor's kids.

A snowball catches me at the back of my head, leaving me momentarily off balance. I recover just in time to dodge Jimmy's fourth attack, throwing my snowball at the same time. It misses Jimmy by a few inches.

Me and him indulge in our usual winter routine till my fingers feel like they might break off, and my lips are a pale shade of blue. I escape the fight to take a bath.

Perhaps I will go sledging today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bird and The Rock

Character Descriptions: A rant (and tips to improve how you describe your characters)

The Maker's Workshop [Short Story]